Saturday, April 9, 2011

Precision Matters

It's getting to the time when I have to worry about how precise things are cut. Up till now the table saw did an ok job, but now I need it to be more precise, especially the miter gauge. So I set out to increase the precision of the miter gauge. What should have only taken a few hours turned into a two day ordeal and ended up costing a lot more than I had expected, bugger. Above is the miter gauge, and it wobbles left and right a little, it's really only a fraction of an inch, but it's enough to be a problem. To do that I'll drill some holes cross wise and install some set screws. This will allow me to fine tune it and as it wears down I can turn the screws a few more turns to take up any slack.
Precision is a must, so I measured it out.


Used a set to make the divot for the drill bit.


Divots made.


Setting it up,


I tried to make sure I had it as level and square as I could.



I managed to snap 2 drill bits while drilling the holes.


I had to buy 2 taps as well, this set cost me $60, and I snapped the one I needed within just minutes... grrr.


Here it is, all busted in the hole.


Busted!


I managed to get 4 holes drilled and tapped. I used a file to get rid of any burrs, and put the set screws in place. There's very little play now!

No comments:

Post a Comment